Do you want to create highly interactive fabulous web sites within the shortest possible time? How about starting up your web site business in just 5 days? Payment you may receive for your first Drupal web site job can far exceed the investment you make in this great training program.
Drupal is a Content Management System (CMS) written in PHP. Distributed free of charge and being an open source product, it is being used as a mainstream dynamic web site and web application implementation platform for the Internet and intranets. A large number of Drupal modules (which are again available free of charge) extend the core platform to add diverse features.
This training is comprehensive in its coverage. Simple and advanced Drupal deployment scenarios are covered. Anyone who wants to create fabulous web sites or web applications that are database driven and having rich user interaction facilities will benefit from participation.
At the end of the training, participants will be able to
- Install and administrate Drupal instances.
- Perform advanced content management functions.
- Configure advanced content filtering and presentation mechanisms.
- Implement form based surveys.
- Implement collaborative user groups capabilities.
- Implement email lists.
- Implement advanced content publishing workflows with moderation.
- Implement multi-lingual web sites.
- Implement advertising capabilities
- Implement e-commerce capabilities
- Implement multi-site Drupal configurations.
- Implement simple and advanced security strategies with Drupal.
- Describe the internal architecture of Drupal.
- Write new Drupal modules to extend the functionality.
- Customize and implement Drupal themes.
- Those who want to create feature rich dynamic web sites
- Advertising professionals
- Web site developers
- PHP developers
- Drupal administrators seeking advanced knowledge
- Computer literacy.
- Some familiarity with image editing, HTML, PHP and MySQL database will be advantages but not necessarily expected. In a very limited number of places PHP coding will be used and those who are unfamiliar with PHP will be provided with appropriate guidance to understand.
5 days (40 hours)
Kamal Wickramanayake (Profile)
- This training is done with hands-on lab exercises.
- Drupal version 6 will be used.
- This training is not about Internet money making. Nor we will find you web site development projects. We only teach you how to develop fabulous web sites with Drupal - a great content management system.
Getting Started With Drupal Content Management System (CMS)
- Installation of Drupal
- Basic content creation (pages, stories)
- Setting site information
- Building menus
- Working with blocks
- Enabling search facility
- Setting up cron service execution
- Setting up a contact form
- Adding forum capability
- Adding blog capability
- Configuring comment options
Working with URLs
- Enabling clean-URL support
- URL aliases
- Using path auto module
- Using global redirect module
- Using path redirect module
Rich Text Editing
- Integrating FCKEditor
- Role based FCKEditor configurations
- Configuring file manager
Working With File Uploads
- Enabling file uploads
- Upload directory organization
- Upload file types and size limit configurations
- Access configurations for uploaded files
Advanced Content Management
- Content types
- Using Content Construction Kit (CCK)
- Taxonomy based content classification
- Input formats
- PHP filter
- Triggers and Actions
- Overview of Views module capabilities
- Creating views - pages, blocks, feeds, attachments
- Content styles
- Overview of theming views
- Capabilities of Calendar module
- Configuring calendars in various ways
Surveys With Webform Module
- Capabilities of Webform module
- Creating forms
- Viewing results
- Form processing validation
- Custom code execution
- Capabilities of OG module
- Configuration of OG module
- Access controlling
- Views integration
- Using Simplenews module
- Batch email sending configuration
- Limitations of Simplenews
- Theming emails
- Overview of other email sending tools
Revisions and Workflows
- Maintaining revisions
- Using workflow module
- Advanced revisioning with pre-publish moderation
- Configuring Drupal to support multiple languages
- Enabling Unicode support in your computer
- Content translation
- Block translation
- Menu translation
- Taxonomy translation
- Capabilities of Ad module
- Ad channels
- Advertisements in blocks
- Embedding ads into content
- Ad owners
- Using a shopping cart
- Integration with payment gateways
- Default configuration
- File system organization
- Web site name matching with configurations
- User registration modes
- Account creating, activation, blocking/unblocking, deletion
- User profiles
- Invitations module
- Role based security model
- Different security requirements
- Implementing content type based security
- Implementing per-node security
- Implementing taxonomy based security
- Defining a hierarchy of privileged users
- Protecting user account modification
- Customizing error page
- Using Masquerade module to switch between users
- Enabling captchar support
- Spam module
- Overview of using external anti-spam services
- Expected quality attributes from Drupal
- Module based architecture of Drupal
- Theme architecture
- Caching and throttling
Writing New Modules
- Implementing pages
- Implementing blocks
- Working with hooks
- Devel module
- Designing forms with components
- Form submission validation
- Error display
- Form submission processing
- Interesting themes written by others
- Customizing existing themes
- Writing new themes from the scratch
- Theming already available pages (For example user registration page)
- Automated update notification
- Updating modules
- Updating Drupal core